NYCEDC Seeks RFP for Redevelopement Of Landmark Kingsbridge Armory Project
NEW YORK—The New York City Economic Development Corporation released a Request for Proposals (RFP) on Sept. 25 for a developer to lease, redevelop, and operate the Kingsbridge Armory, one of the largest armory buildings in the world and a landmarked structure that contains approximately 570,000 square feet of space.
The RFP follows the release of the “Together for Kingsbridge Vision Plan” and is backed by a combined $200-million investment by New York City Mayor Adams and Gov. Kathy Hochul.
The Kingsbridge Armory RFP seeks to create a financially feasible, thriving, mixed-use development that:
- Strikes a balance between addressing the needs of the local community and creating an economic engine for the wider area;
- Activates the Armory and enhances its integration with the neighborhood, promoting more accessibility, transparency, and connection with the surrounding community;
- Serves diverse users, including those from different age groups, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and income levels;
- Delivers a minimum of 25,000 square feet of space to be subleased to one or more community-based organizations at discounted rates.
- Design the site to promote sustainability, energy efficiency, and carbon neutrality, while preserving the landmarked exterior.
- Responsibly develop the project by delivering a comprehensive hiring program that supports communities and creates job opportunities, including for economically disadvantaged candidates.
- Generate returns to the city through lease rent, tax, and payment in lieu of tax (“PILOT”) revenue.
“The release of this RFP demonstrates that we are serious about the redevelopment of the Kingsbridge Armory and want this historic structure to, not only remain a symbol of resiliency, but become an economic engine for the Bronx,” said NYCEDC President & CEO Andrew Kimball. “In addition to economic development, we want the redeveloped armory to promote sustainability and serve diverse users in the Bronx.”
NYCEDC has launched sign-ups for community-based organizations (CBOs) and emerging developers to express their interest in being part of the Armory’s development. RFP respondents are encouraged to consider the involvement of CBOs and emerging developers when developing their proposals.
Responses to the RFP are due by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 18th, 2024. An optional information session will be held on Tues., Oct. 10, at 10:30 a.m. with more details available in the RFP.