State Budget Extended to April 3 as Pols Wrestle with Massive Federal Funding Cuts

ALBANY—The New York State lawmakers, grappling with bail reform, funding the MTA’s capital plan and predicting the amount and impacts of expected massive cuts in federal funding, have extended the budget deadline from Tues., April 1 to Thurs, April 3. Further budget extenders are possible as a host of major issues remain unresolved.

Gov. Kathy Hochul, who has proposed a budget estimated at approximately $265 billion, said she is willing to “take as long as it takes” to come to an agreement on some of her controversial public safety proposals.

NYS Gov. Kathy Hochul

Transportation and construction industry leaders are hopeful that proposals by the governor and the State Senate and Assembly, included in their respective “One House” budget plans that called for more than $800 million in additional bridge and highway spending, will be part of the final state budget once enacted.

Budget extenders are nothing new in Albany. State lawmakers did not agree on last year’s budget until April 20, while a year earlier, the final budget was delayed until May.

The specter of impending federal funding cuts from the Trump Administration is holding up an agreement and could lead to a special session later this year when the specifics of those cuts become clear. The state currently receives approximately $90 billion from the federal government, it was reported.

On April 1, New York Attorney General Letitia James and a coalition of 22 other states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration for “abruptly and unlawfully” slashing billions of dollars in vital state health funding. On March 24, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced it was clawing back more than $11 billion in funding previously allocated to states for public health, mental health, and addiction initiatives—including nearly $400 million for New York.

“The Trump administration’s illegal and irresponsible decision to claw back life-saving health funding is an attack on the well-being of millions of Americans,” said Attorney General James. “Slashing this funding now will reverse our progress on the opioid crisis, throw our mental health systems into chaos, and leave hospitals struggling to care for patients. My office is taking immediate action to stop this heartless and shortsighted move and ensure these life-saving programs remain intact.”

Published: April 2, 2025.

Scroll to Top